Thursday, March 6, 2014

The Medical Perspective


Feb. 9th 

A month ago she went into the hospital. She got up that morning and went to work but soon realized all was not well. She was taken to the hospital but there was no sense, from what Chris says, that the pain was life-threatening. And then the doctors decided she needed a CT scan…

People have asked me about the medical details. What did the autopsy find? Have the medical staff been called to account? Was there really nothing else they could have done?

I don’t know the answers to any of these questions and I don’t want to trouble Chris with them. I’ve done some cursory searching for information on the Internet, but I’ve seen contradictory statements. Nothing satisfies, although the more reliable medical websites tend to say no, there was really no way of knowing she had this allergy.

One site said one in 75,000 people have an allergy of this intensity to the contrast dye. If that is true, that seems like more people than I would have thought. It means there is another person in this city with the same allergy, several within the wider region. I pray for them all that they never need a CT scan.

Why do the tests if the dye can kill anyone at all? I suppose someone has weighed the costs and the benefits—they save the lives of far, far more people than they kill. You are told the risks before you have the test; you sign a form. But who ever declines to sign? K.B. was in pain and thought the test would help the doctors figure out how to stop it. Why would you say no if you were in her place?

But I don’t dwell on any of these medical questions. I don’t think more details would help me now. There is no point, at least not for me, in asking myself why no doctor or nurse was able to stop the unthinkable from happening. It did happen. A month of denying that truth has gotten me nowhere.

2 comments:

  1. I STILL, even now, have to remind myself that there is no going back. It can't be undone, no matter how much we learn. And when I break through that denial (and "magical thinking") I get angry. And then I heave a sigh. All in very quick succession.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just yesterday I was reading through some of our vast e-mail correspondence, going over e-mails about getting together for tea or what sorts of dance classes to sign up for, just everyday things. And it was very, very hard to tell myself that I will never get one of those e-mails (or phone calls, or texts) from her ever again. Most days I feel like I am not doing very well on the acceptance front.

    The anger rises up quite regularly for me, too, although it is not a very specific anger in terms of who it is directed towards (I don't feel angry at God, or at the medical staff). I think it is more a generalized feeling of intense, impassioned frustration at how, and at what stage in her life, she was taken from us.

    ReplyDelete